Wednesday 4 July 2012

How does your garden grow?


I headed off this morning to scoop up some deck chairs on sale at Walmart and these flowers decided to stalk me through the store, followed me out, and got into my trunk.  I pretended I didn't notice.  They sure knew who to pick on!

So how does your garden grow?  The weather is much to be desired, is it finally here?  Will it be short or an Indian Summer as they call it?  All I know is my flowers and vegetables sure would like a little heat!

This year I decided to try container gardening in these rope bin tubs you see everywhere.  I drilled some holes in the bottom and who thought they would be such a success?  I also invested in some 4X4 raised beds you will see below.  I've encountered a little bit of a 'cat'astrophe, in the 4X4 beds, one by the name of Nappy.  Either that or he was the one that only got caught a few times.  Well, let's just say he's not really going in them anymore, we had a little talk and I've had to drape these trellises over the beds to keep him out.  I estimate probably $50 or more in seed that won't have made it.  I think I've planted areas in these now at least 3 times.  

Anyway here are some of the before pictures:
Herb Garden:
Rhubarb (I realize this isn't a herb)
Rosemary
Purple Sage
Pineapple Sage
Sage
Oregano
Lavendar X 4
Chives
Lemon Balm
Parsley
Thyme X 2 kinds
Chocolate Mint
Spearmint
Peppermint
Pineapple Mint
Orange Mint
Sweet Onions (can't see)
Basil, Tarragon and Cilantro (just don't like the conditions...I think it must be the cedars and cats!)




Raised Bed #1
Tomatoes
Red Cabbage
Strawberries
Brussel Sprouts
Rainbow Chard * (* indicates 'cat'astrophe incident)
Purple Brocolli *
 Raised Bed #2
Peppers various
Basil
Tarragon
Rainbow carrots
White Crown Brocolli*
Califlower*
 Raised Bed #3
Purple Haze Carrots
Peppers various sweet and hot
and I can't remember!! ha!
 Container Gardening (Near to Far):
Yellow Zuch
Black Beauty Zuch
Yellow Raspberries and Strawberries
Gourds
Buttercup Squash
Acorn Squash
Scallopini Squash (flying saucers as my uncle calls them)
Yellow fingerling potatoes


 Purple Russian Poatoes
 Tall Sweet Bay Tree

I can't call these the after pictures, The During:

 Raised Bed 1:
Added Mesculins *** (doh!)
 Raised Bed 2:
Added rest of turnip seeds...hmmm need to thin!

 Raised Bed 3:

 Container Bins so far so good!
Left to right:
Purple Turnips
Salad bush cucumbers
Oregon Sweet Snow Peas
Beets
Parsnips
Red Raspberries
Purple Russian Potatoes
(Blue bin was added with Thornless Blackberries and strawberries)

 Exploding Potatoes - I can't wait to tip them all out!

 We should have some interesting Zuchs, I'm hoping they don't hit the ground.

 One lone cherry on our grafted tree.  We have Stella, Sam, Ranier and Bing on it - cool huh?  We also have an apple with five different kinds.

Other edibles we have include:
Green grapes
Red grapes
2 Fig Trees
Yellow Raspberries
Radishes in pots (yeah! no worms!)
Elephant Garlic
Sweet onions
Rhubarb

I think that is everything!  So far we've harvested some radishes:





No comments:

Post a Comment